Apocalypse Just Now

Whilst we all wait for the forthcoming Zombie Apocalypse, Eliza Day reviews Saturday night’s GMT featuring The Meditators.

Saturday night at Live is becoming a regular destination on the dance-cards of the kings and queens that are the Durban scene. Being a warehouse with an easy-to-eliminate exit on either side makes it the perfect environment for storage of valuables. The fact that it stores seething masses of human flesh every weekend, dancing to the devil’s music, make it a potentially wonderful abattoir should the zombies arrive. Which they will. This weekend was no exception as the bleary-eyed babes of 031 slumped around with beers, nodding and noting the familiar silhouettes of Durban’s beautiful youth.

The theme was reggae, presumably to make The Meditators feel at home in a makeshift Zion-sphere just off Stamford Hill Road. Kudos to DJ Rocco for softening the dance floor with a groovy playlist that limbered up the crowd nicely in anticipation of The Meditators.

While for me, reggae is not something I hold any kind of flame for, I can understand the point and appeal of it to millions of ‘jah-yoots’ all over the world, and irie vibes have their place I suppose. That place was certainly Live The Venue when the nine local rude-dudes pulled in and ‘mo fyah’ was the overall buzz. One thing I feel for The Meditators is ultimate respect as they do their thing on stage. They have a familial, sincere atmosphere that can only be put down to possessing a lot of soul. Musically, they jam together as a fabulous fusion of dub and roots. Their tall, lean, brightly coloured torsos tower as they deliver well-loved covers and some original tracks that get the kids singing and jiving along with them in a mutual feeling of love for the genre and all that reggae symbolizes i.e. a lot of ganja. Nah, I’m kidding, there’s probably more to it than that but I personally couldn’t be arsed to find out. Enjoy it guys.

I was particularly interested in listening to the set from We’ve Been Hacked, the digital DJ duo who have a pretty good reputation for bringing their own appealing brand of darkness to the dance floors of South Africa. They are comprised of Jack-o-Blades and Drugstore Cowboy who, together, like to throw a party track or two around.

Burning holes into us with dead, fish-eye contacts and bringing an assortment of dirty electro, D&B and break beats, it can be safely said that the evening took a turn for the welcome worst at this point. The glazed eyes of a black-clad boy peered up at the stage from the shoulder of a sleepy girl. Red kiss-smudged lipstick smeared her face and bled onto her collar. He finished and dropped her unconscious body to the floor before kicking her underneath the stage, all the while fist pumping to the bass line.

With all the fascinating news about people chewing off faces in Miami, men serving their pound of private flesh to guests and lovers removing each other’s lips; I can happily succumb to the comfortable knowledge that we are in the midst of the zombie apocalypse. The demonic possession of the human race is taking over, city by city and I can hardly wait for the ceiling of Live to rain blood down on our fiendish friends while we rave to our graves.

*All images © Mike Celliers.

Comments
15 Responses to “Apocalypse Just Now”
  1. Stevie Wonderful says:

…meh.

2. Krokodil says:

sorry, but weak.

3. Mick says:

Nice.
    Zombies are so hot right now

What the fuck did I just read?

5. Tramp says:

Let me guess, she sucked one of the We’ve Been Hacked guy’s dicks too? That’s almost half of Durban now.

6. luke says:

i’ve never wanted to login and delete a comment/out some asshole so badly. scum.

Classy. How about we keep the comments about the writing and the music? Yoh, jealousy really is ugly.

8. Ugh says:

I didn’t really get the relevance of the zombie references. But generally I liked the style of this article.
    Just one small tip. I think the meditators portion of the review could have stood up well if the writer hadn’t constantly reminded us about how reggae/the meditators isn’t her thing. It got distracting. We don’t care if its not your thing. Rather try your best to tell us how it was than spend 50 words telling us that you shouldn’t be the person writing this article.

9. Ugh-er says:

Everyone’s a critic.

10. Ugh-est says:

See what I did there?

11. Josh says:

Did anyone see that Globot muppet? Couldnt even dj properly with Ableton , kept blaming the sound technicians for his cock ups, unless the sound technician was remotely controlling ableton and changing his loops and master tempo ? The best was when his control became unplugged and he carried on miming … until someone got on stage and plug his control back in ….. hilarious …. arnt we all big in Japan

12. Keaton says:

Josh you are a tool and obvoiusly dont know much about what went down , i’d love to see you produce something close to what Globot can do

13. Administrator says:

Who said anything about producing? I believe the criticism was about djing. Good producers dont make good dj’s and good dj’s certainly don’t make good producers. Andrew I think you should take criticism where criticism is due, your last two performances have had a myriad of technical mishaps. Perhaps get a better soundcard if you dont have one already and get more robust cables. On a side note, treat the sound technicians with respect, they are there to help you, no need to act like a diva.

14. Josh says:

I maybe a tool, but I know what went down … the USB cable, atleast he carried on pretending, blissfully unaware.

15. Durnford says:

Even his hair spray/pyrotechnics failed him.